Providing for Basic and Crisis Needs and Promoting Economic Mobility
United Way of York County’s work in the Economic Mobility focus area helps to ensure that even in tough economic times, individuals and families are not only able to make ends meet on a daily basis, but to also make economic progress. Communities must pull together to meet the increase in demand for food, shelter and other necessities by those already in need and the newly unemployed. In addition to basic needs, individuals and families also need access to the tools to increase their income, build savings and gain and sustain assets. United Way is a critical part of both efforts -- ensuring that families have the basics in life and the tools to achieve economic mobility.
See outcomes from the past year in Economic Mobility, thanks to you, through our Community Impact Report.
Community Priorities and Outcomes in Economic Mobility
Provide Basic Needs and Promote Economic Stability of Individuals and Families
Individuals and families need access to basic services and crisis services to achieve stability and lead productive lives. Basic needs include: food, clothing, and financial assistance, access to affordable housing and emergency shelters and other services that ensure all members of York County thrive.
- Individuals have their basic needs met.
- Individuals have access to emergency shelters and services.
- Individuals have access to disaster services.
- Individuals have access to safe and affordable housing.
Economically Stable Individuals and Families
Individuals and families work to attain economic stability by enrolling in benefits programs, and receiving education and job training that results in successful employment and the increased income needed to be financially independent.
- Individuals enroll in benefits or tax credit programs that increase family income.
- Individuals have access to education related to work readiness, job skills and/or employment training to secure higher paying employment.
- Individuals learn skills that lead to improved financial stability and independence.
United Way is involved in several community-wide efforts that promote providing for basic needs and economic mobility.